As a child I was told to never accept gifts from strangers. I usually did what I was told, until this particular day. My immediate elder sister, Faith woke me up and prepared me to go and get my hair done. My mom called me shortly before our departure and warned me sternly. “Nwagala, (my native name) *, if anybody offers you anything, do NOT collect it.” I nodded sheepishly. Little did they know that I was about to grow cherub wings.
We arrive at the market place early enough (in Nigerian creole; “make the hair dresser for get chance) **. After a while, it was my turn to get my hair weaved. Fortunately, the shop owner had more than one apprentice. Enthusiastic about fresh air and a temporary break from house chores (which I absolutely hated), I hopped unto the bench, and waited for the magic (or pain, depending on which stylist you frequent) ***, to happen. The shop owner herself was weaving my hair, and she seemed to like me. The woman soon offered me some bananas.
I felt happy about my hair, and danced around till we got home. Alas, for the High Court of Attitude Adjustment (mom, Ivy and Faith, my sisters) had taken up my case. My mom and my sisters gushed over my hair and gave me some food. While I was eating, I notice some canes lying around carelessly. I didn’t think much of it, since my mom worked in a school. When I was done, my mother called me and said, “What did I tell you before you left the house?”. My reply was, “You told me not to collect anything from strangers”.
‘Whoosh’. My mother had picked up a cane to flog me, and it had snapped in two. I yelped in pain. I don’t remember much from this point, except being goaded and beaten into seven-year-old pulp. I do remember falling asleep though.
In Nigeria, we were told as children to never accept gifts (edible or not) from strangers, who were suspected to be pedophiles, child thieves and ritualists, or certain family members, who were considered to be Satan’s ministers of witchcraft. And while it was a bit extreme in some cases, it did curb things like gluttony, and food poisoning and it instilled self-control, because according to Nigerian parents, “If you nor collect/ chop (insert food/ gift item here), you nor go die”.
*: Nwagala, (full name, Nwagalaonu, from the southern part of Nigeria), means “the gift of a child is very expensive.
**: a slang which meant that you had to get there on time to secure an appointment.
***: some hair stylists were known for their ability to either make people fall asleep, or cry in pain.
****: Elderly Nigerians, especially women considered blinking to be an effective way of communication between themselves, their family, and close friends.











0 Comments